Netscapes: Development Process

Creating a project is an organic process that contains many twists and turns. Below I will outline some of the changes we had to make during the development of our project.

Before Christmas break, Chris built a wooden plinth to mount the glass head on & house all the electronics. He also designed & 3D printed an inner diffuser for our lighting. This will be displayed in the IVT theatre, as the interactive front-end of our project.

IMG_20180109_164348.jpg

Glass head mounted on plinth (without diffuser). The gap at the front will house the Raspberry Pi & GPIO Touchscreen.

Modified Slider/LED control for Arduino

To further improve the LED lighting part of our piece, we decided to modify it by removing the serial connection and instead using a Bluetooth connection. Chris purchased a Bluetooth module and began to program it to take inputs from mobile.

Chris and I worked together to program the RGB LED code with Bluetooth. We tested the connection using Bluetooth terminal on our Android devices; sending simple “a” and “b” messages to turn an LED on and off remotely. We discovered that this will only work with one device at a time, so we will need to account for this when the model is on display.

We decided on making a mobile app to control the colour of the LEDs, which I will build in Processing over the next few days.

Resolving LED brightness issues 

We found that with the 3D printed inner diffuser in place, The RGB LEDs were not bright enough to light up the glass head.

IMG_20180109_151940

Original setup, with multiple RGB LEDs, Arduino & Bluetooth module.

img_20180121_200116.jpg

Neopixel 24 LED Ring

We tried an LED ring (that I have been using in another project) since it is considerably brighter than the individual LEDs. This worked much better; the colour was visible even in the brightly lit room, and the ring diameter was a perfect fit for the base of the diffuser!

IMG_20180112_132148

Glass head with diffuser and LED ring.

We purchased another LED ring and cut new holes in the mount to accommodate the wiring.

Switching and Setting up databases.

Due to issues connecting to our MongoDB database, we decided to switch from MongoDB to MySQL.

I set up a new database on my server with access to the necessary tables. I sent Gintaré a link to instructions on how to set it up, along with the necessary details, so she can get to work building the data visualization.

Next Steps
Our next steps are to:

  • Wire up the LED ring and program it to respond to Bluetooth messages (modifying earlier code)
  • Develop an android app
  • Connect the visualization and the slider inputs to my server/Database.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s